Monday, June 23, 2008

How did Marius get to Pisa?

Today I flew for my 1st time; from București to Bologna. But there is a story behind this...

It all started yesterday, when I took the bus from Iași to București. I left from the Vama Veche station in Iași at 9PM and I arrived in Băneasa at something past 4AM. I have to tell you that it was one of my worstrides by bus, but only because of me. Maybe it was because of all the emotions gathered - 1st flight, 1st job abroad (1st time abroad too), 1st time leaving home for such a long period to manage all by myself etc. - but my stomach wasn't able to cope with all of that! :)) But I did make it to Băneasa:

BBIA @4AM

I arrived there at ~4AM, but my flight was scheduled for 10:35, so I did get to walk around with my luggage and even see a beautiful sunrise:

Sunrise near BBIA

Next, I had a first-hand first experience about check-in, I found out that I have payed for an extra luggage, that my luggage was a bit heavier than it was supposed to be, I past the frontier custom check, and waited to get in the plane.

In the plane I meet this young lady that was going back to Bologna, for work, and she was very "maternal" when she found out it was my first flight. I got good advice, not only the simple "Please straighten-up your seat, we are close to taking-off", I also learnt how to breathe better and why is it better so sit straight during take-off.

I also met Mircea who was also flying for the first time. He was going to the Isle of Elba, to his brother-in-law so, after looking on the map, we decided we could travel to Pisa together, since his Italian was even worse than mine.

After getting off the plane in Bologna, and being the last one to get his (heavy) luggage, the next stop was the railway station in Bologna: €5 for the bus! There I found very patient, understanding and English-speaking guy at the information booth. Did I mention that besides the tourists, there aren't that many people to speak (proper) English?
Da Bologna a Pisa #1: Partire
But I did get to buy my regionale ticket to Pisa. The route was:

  1. Bologna (13:54) - Prato (14:59)
    Da Bologna a Pisa #2: via Prato
  2. Prato (15:28) - Firenze Rif. (15:45)
    Da Bologna a Pisa #4: via Firenze
  3. Firenze Rif. (16:03) - Pisa (17:06)

There are some things worth knowing, at least for a Romanian coming to Italy:

  • Even the Regionale, that as far as I know is the cheapest train in Italy travels at speeds greater than our Personal or Rapid or even Accelerat!
  • That is why you have to use the subway to get to your line and not cross the railway lines (called binari)
  • Trains happen to get late, just like back home...
  • but... I was in Prato Centrale station and my train was supposed to leave at 15:28, but it was announced to be late. So at 15:15 I tought it would be nice to take a picture of the grafitti on the train.
    Da Bologna a Pisa #3: via Prato, ma in ritardo
    After taking 2-3 pictures, I was looking at my display and saw my train leaving! I looked at the train and... it was leaving! : But I got in the very next train going to Firenze and I got there in time... only for that train to be late 15 minutes!

In the end, I got to Pisa where Michele (former LCP, and my contact here), Humberto (LCP ellected) and Roberto (VP Talent Management) were waiting for me. After one day of travel, we went to the seaside, eat ice-cream, meet other 2 AIESECers, went for a pizza and beer, went to see Arno, the main river around which Pisa developed, ate another ice-cream etc.

I have to say that even if I might be more used to the pizza back home (plus for €8 we eat a bigger pizza and maybe have 2 beers) the ice-cream here is really the best I ever tasted! And yes, the beer is more expensive than back home...

For the night, I am staying at Rafael, a Brazilian Erasmus Mundus student that has joined AIESEC here, in Pisa...

Well, that's mainly the first day... And Italy is very beautiful and hot! :D

No comments: